TWICKENHAM ROWING CLUB’s NEXT MIXED LEARN-TO-ROW COURSE FOR AGE 18
+ STARTS WEDNESDAY 18 MARCH AT 7PM. IT WILL CONSIST OF TWO SESSION A WEEK (WEDNESDAY AT 7 PM AND SUNDAY AT 10 AM) FOR APPROXIMATELY 8 WEEKS AND TEACHES BEGINNERS THE BASICS OF ROWING.
At TwRC, we take huge pride in the high standard of teaching that we provide to people who are new to the sport of rowing. The vast majority of new rowers who try our Learn to Row courses stay on to become full members of the club, representing TwRC at head races and regattas all over the UK, including Henley Royal Regatta, one of the most prestigious events in the world rowing calendar.
We have invested in a specialist fleet of ‘Explore Rowing Boats’, which are specifically designed to ease new rowers into the sport. They are wider than racing boats and are much more stable, allowing students to focus on developing the building blocks of rowing technique. Added to this, TwRC boasts an impressive array of indoor rowing machines and other training aids, making our club the ideal environment for any learner rower.
Rowing training does not always involve early mornings or cold river sessions. During this course the Wednesday sessions will use TwRC’s Concept II rowing machines to introduce technical and fitness training, while Sundays will include a session on the water.
COURSE CONTENT INCLUDES:
- Introduction and course outline
- Club rules and what’s where
- Health and safety
- Ergo technique
- Equipment and terminology
- Getting a boat on and off water
- Getting in and out of a boat
- Rowing sequencing
- Skill exercises (circles / rocking / standing / slapping)
- Basic manoeuvres (backing down / full circle)
- Boat care and maintenance
- Correct sequencing and stopping in a controlled manner
- Catch, suspension and drive
- Extraction, recovery and rhythm
Please use the following link to register for the course: